How is it possible that my "baby" who just yesterday kept me up all hours of the night with colic, yet charmed everyone she met with her sweet smile and beautiful hair has turned 8-years-old?
Taylor - 1 day old
Taylor asked for a slumber party this year. Well, actually she's been asking for one all year long. Anyone who knows me knows that birthday parties are a huge deal in our house and we start planning for the coming year almost the day after the current party has concluded!
Somehow I thought the slumber party thing would be fairly easy -- girls only means a calm, quiet party, right? HA! I have to tell you that on several occasions last night I wondered if they were going to come through the ceiling! At one point, I stepped outside just to gain a perspective of what the neighbors might be hearing from our house and I was shocked at the noise level coming from our dwelling --- with the doors fully closed! I tried to be the "cool" mom and only "shhhh" them a few times.
We had a ton of activities planned that seemed to keep all the girls engaged and included. They made friendship bracelets, picture frames, got manicures, indulged in a chocolate fountain, sang karaoke, had a pillow fight (their spontaneous idea), and played "pin the cell phone on the girl." By 10pm (four hours into the party) we hadn't even gotten to cake or presents!

Enjoying the Chocolate Fountain
The adorable cake that I did NOT make!
By 11:30, they settled in their sleeping bags to watch The Parent Trap. I was shocked (but prepared) when they asked for popcorn! I truly thought their bellies would have been on the verge of exploding! By 12:45am, we only had 1 girl asleep!
One of the most precious moments of the party was this morning while they were waiting on me to finish cooking breakfast. Someone got the idea of putting on a fashion show, complete with judges and music. They lined up three chairs in the foyer for the judges and made cards to indicate their scoring of each model! Unfortunately, I don't have any pics to share of this since I couldn't leave the Belgian waffles unattended!
Let me just say a HUMONGOUS thanks to my friend, Erica, who came, helped, and stayed the ENTIRE night with narry a complaint. The poor girl is allergic to cats and still endured! Thanks, also, to my friend, Gina, who stopped by just to drop off her daughter, but ended up staying 2 hours (thank goodness) to help kick-off the making of the friendship bracelets! MY FRIENDS ROCK!
I love you, Taylor, and thank you for the eight years of joy you've brought to my life! You have been the answer to every prayer I ever uttered before you were born, asking God for a beautiful, healthy little girl. Thank goodness He had the foresight of endowing you with such compassion, intelligence, spunk and endless capacity to love, as well! Happy Birthday, sweet girl!






3 comments:
How cute is that cake? See no worries! You are a brave one oh sister of mine - almost 18 years and no guests that cannot be duct taped into bed! Seriously, what a gift she is (repeat that several times daily) and hold on as the next 8 will fly by even faster! And thanks for making me cry and feel old!
what a specail memory for her! Happy B-day Taylor!! All 3 of you girlies b-days are in September. I bet that blows one's budget!! But what fun!!
I still remember the day Taylor was born 8 years ago. We were living in Seattle and I rushed home to see her live webcast from the hospital. I'm amazed that eight years have gone by already...our little "godkitten" has grown into a beautiful young lady. Sounds like her mama threw her quite a bash for her big day...hope you got some rest after that...ha ha, I know Kendall's bday is right behind Taylor's and I'm sure her bash will be just as special. They are lucky to have you. Happy Happy Birthday Miss Taylor!
Post a Comment