Thursday, July 24, 2008

Freaky Feline


Let me begin by saying that I like cats. I really do! In fact, 99% of my adult life has been spent with a feline companion, most of whom have adopted me. I have a soft heart for the pathetic meow of a tiny kitten and love the acrobatics that can ensue from chasing a reflection on the wall. However, I must confess that my daughter's cat is causing me to reevaluate my affections.

"Jackson" (as she was named by Taylor who was 3-years-old at the time) showed up on our back porch one evening, just two weeks shy of our big move to Austin. Although I was sympathetic to the fate of an abandoned kitten, the reality of moving 200 miles away with a brand new kitten was insane. Additionally, we were finally adjusting to the return of our status of a single cat household following the death of Buddy, the world's most amazing Maine Coone. Mundy, our 11-year-old black domestic short hair had gladly resumed his role of the beloved patriarch. It just didn't make sense to adopt Jackson into our family. However, sensibility is a difficult concept to convey to a very bright little girl with an amazing affinity for animals. So I caved . . .

Fast forward four years to the present. This cat, albeit beautiful, is possessed! She is also extremely destructive -- and she's DECLAWED! Allow me to share with you a sample of her destruction from chewing:
  1. Cable modem cord
  2. Rowenta iron cord
  3. Electric piano cord -- TWICE
  4. Wireless router cord
  5. Telephone cords -- THREE
  6. Camcorder charger cord
  7. Laptop computer cord
  8. Kendall's baby monitor cord
  9. Countless pony tail holders -- She can actually open the bathroom drawer and remove them!
I'm sure there's more, but that's what immediately comes to mind. She is an absolute freak! And the amazing thing is that all of the cords were PLUGGED IN when she chomped through them! Shouldn't she have been electrocuted????

I'd really like to strangle her with an electrical cord . . . if I could only find one that was intact!

She's so ashamed!

Mundy a/k/a The Good Cat

1 comment:

Erica Wagner said...

You know... I've never really like cats. And the whole allergy thing doesn't have anything to do with it!

Give me a dog, any day!