I have never been one to need the latest in electronic gadgets. In fact, our living room television has served us well for over 13 years now. Oh, I know it's not sleek and pretty like the flat screen HDs out there, but it works.
So I surprised myself when I asked Troy for an iPhone for my 40th birthday a few months ago. Truly, it was a means to have remote access email and the Internet for a new role I had taken on for church. But I quickly fell in love with all things iPhone. I loved the touchscreen, the applications, the iPod/iTunes integration and even the cool Marimba ringtone that comes pre-programmed.
Fast forward to this past Sunday when I was laughing with my friend and pastor at church about her recently dropping her Blackberry in the toilet. It was unsalvageable, and she ended up having to get a new phone, along with a manly "toolbelt" to hold it securely to her waist in an effort to prevent future losses.
Later that day, I was visiting the public restroom at a local mall when nature called. After finishing my business, I flushed, got up and prepared to leave. When I saw that the stubborn commode wasn't cooperating by clearing out the toilet paper, I flushed again. Still nothing. So I bent over to get a closer look. Imagine my horror when, upon closer examination, I discovered the obstruction was being caused by my beloved iPhone.
Without even thinking, I plunged my hand in the commode to fish out my phone. After the initial shock of the event wore off, the reality of what had just occurred began to sink in . . . not only had my phone fallen out of my back pocket and into the commode, I had secured it's untimely demise by flushing SEVERAL times before I realized it was in there.
I suspected there was no recovery from such a horrific injury, but made a diligent effort to resuscitate it by submersing it in uncooked rice and later laying it out to dry. All my research on the Internet confirmed my suspicions . . . my iPhone was DOA.
And to add insult to injury (since obviously fishing my phone out of a toilet was insulting enough), I had to pay full retail ($399) for a replacement since we had just renewed our contract in September. Rather pricey flush, wouldn't you say?
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm still laughing...
Technology does have a way of keeping us humble, LOL!
Dee, I had a similar incident when I purchased a snazzy 16 GB Iphone last November on a Friday night, brought it home, didn't tell a soul I had picked it up and proceeded with starting the weekend. That night worked in the yard but I left my new phone on my dresser in the closet, not wanting to lose it outside. I came in from cutting trees, returned a call from a friend and placed it back in a corner on my dresser. The next morning I got up and couldn't find it. My lovely wife just told me "well maybe you can now finally retire your old phone and get an Iphone" I hated to tell her I just did and it's GONE! I waited a week and took the plunge on an 8GB for the full price. I feel your pain.
Post a Comment